Porifera - Sponges
This page contains notes and key characteristics of species in the Phylum Porifera (Sponges)
- Global diversity of Porifera: A terrific review article published in PLoS One:
Van Soest, Rob WM, et al. "Global diversity of sponges (Porifera)." PLoS One 7.4 (2012): e35105.
- Want to know more about different species of sponges in the world - The World Porifera Database: "The WPD, the World Database of all Recent sponges ever described, is part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a global initiative to arrive at a register of all marine organisms. The WPD is a logical follow up and addition to the Systema Porifera (editors Hooper & Van Soest, 2002), the current update of the classification of all sponge taxa above the species level."
- The Sponge Barcoding Project
- Barcoding Sponges: An Overview Based on Comprehensive Sampling. Vargas et al. 2012. From PlosOne
- WHOA!!! Carnivorous sponges discovered in the deep ocean. Check it out.
Monterrey Bay Aquarium Story on crazy carnivorous sponges
News article: Strange, Carnivorous Sponge Found In Deep Sea